Untitled

Jackson Seventh Day Adventist Church 11184 State Route 93, Jackson, Ohio 
740-286-0893
Church Services : 9:30 AM Saturday

Bible school class in Berlin X Roads at the old Methodist church. (Picture date abt 1952)

"Part 1 by Estel Eaton

The Church was first located on Pearl Street in Jackson

The grass roots of this church began in the gay 18 nineties when Elder Gifford and Boardman came to Jackson and held a series of meetings in a tent on the corner of Tropic street and Trago Ave. Those meetings resulted in 5 converts of the Third Angel’s Message. Namely: my mother, Elizabeth Halterman, her mother, Elle M. Brown, Martha J. Evans, Mary Jane Callahan, and Jasper Jacobs. Occasionally they met for communion services with a small company at Beaver, Ohio. Sabbath school was held spasmodically in the homes of the new believers. My earliest recollections of attending S.S. was at the home of Sr. Evans who then lived on Trago Ave.

About the year 1915, B.P. Foote, a colporteur sold the book Great Controversary in the Jackson area. He met up with two families that became interested in the message. They were the Hayth family and the Radcliff family. Charles Radcliff was the father of our Lee Radcliff and Ida Martin, both members of the Jackson church. For a short time S.S. was held in the Lee Radcliff home. Then about 1918, three years later, another colporteur, M.B. Ingersoll, moved to Jackson, and sold truth filled literature throughout the county. S.S. was held at his home for a season.

The next to arrive for seed sowing was Elizabeth Morris, a Bible Instructor just out ofWashington Missionary College. It was her untiring efforts in home visitation and Bible study that really paved the way for the evangelistic effort conducted by R. S. Lindsay in the autumn of 1921. The meetings attracted a large attendance from the very start. They were held in this building (The church on Pearl Street). Two Bible workers were assigned by the conference to further instruct the interested ones. They were Elizabeth Morris and Fannie Emmel. On March 18, 1922 forty (40) persons were baptized and became members of the church when it was organized the following day March 19, 1922.

The following members holding membership with the Ohio Conference Church formed the nucleus for the organization: Martha J. Evans, Ella M. Brown, Elizabeth Halterman, Elizabeth Morris, Mary Jane Callahan, and Estel Eaton (Estel Lackey). Several were taken in on profession of faith. They, with the newly baptized ones, added to the nucleus, made a total of 60 charter members. Of that number only 11 are now know to be living. They are: Elizabeth Morris, Ella Lesser, Bessie Walke, Emma Riley, Lucille Callahan, Ida Martin, Mrs. Hilton Hughes (Beatrice Barton), Mrs, Eugene Saunders ( Gale Garrett), Mrs. James Dunahoo (Thelma Garrett), Loren Ward, and Estel Easton.(as of 2004 – all of these are deceased)

Our first pastor was Elder F.M. Fairchild, a man loved and respected by every one in the community. To him goes the honor for managing the purchase of this building for our church home. It was through the generosity of towns people and men of wealth in the conference that we were practically given this building for a worship center. On October 21, 1922 (same year) another baptism was held bringing our membership up to seventy (70). Of this baptism only two (2) are known to be living. Mary Etta Callahan and Ellen Keller. Our S.S. membership was over 100. Our prayer meetings were well attended and deeply spiritual. We have been blessed with a variety of talented ministers, each of whom have been a blessing to the church. Elder C.C. Webster followed Elder Fairchild, then Lewis Lenheim, W.W. Ellis, Paul Cardey, Russell Krick, J.W. Shults, Arthur Wade, L.R. Holst, Robert Holst, S.A. Yakush, Cecil Paden, Vernon Harris, R.E. Dickason, Richard Faber, Joseph Krpaleck, John F. Littlefield, Joe Spicer, Warren Pierce, Ronald Adkinson, and Donald Madison.

Our building has been remodeled several times. From a measly hollow structure, without pews, and only two (2) pot bellied stoves for heating, one on the right and one on the left center sections of the room, we have gradually taken on our now modern appearance. The ceiling has been lowered a couple of times, the platform changed, front steps enlarged and banistered also a baptistery installed. Through the courtesy of the Walter Corwins’ we now have two children’s class rooms made available by the installation of velvet drapes. Also the beautiful back drop and platform curtains. Loren Callahan donated the gold name plate in front of our building and the kindergarten table and benches. He also started the excavating for our rest rooms and furnace space. Clyde Martin did much of the cement work for the steps and footing around the base of the church. Our present pastor Elder Madison has engineered and serviced most of the present redecorating also the window pane repairing. Raymond White and Richard Spangenberg deserve honorable mention for their services.

We have shared our church with several protestant denominations who came praying for the privilege of Sunday worship in our quarters. Their reimbursements for service rendered assisted us in meeting our financial obligations. The last church to occupy our building was the Faith Lutheran congregation. The two (2) large pulpit chairs on this platform are gifts of that church. Along with many others, the Weinfurtners’ have contributed liberally to our needs to make our church more attractive. From this church there have been six (6) Registered nurses, 1 Bible Instructor, 2 Church school teachers, 1 minister, 1 accountant or conference treasurer, and 1 foreign missionary. With but few exceptions we have met our Ingathering goals set by the conference. All debts are liquidated. The church board is hopeful for the future . We are expecting great things from God as we near the end of time."

This history found at: http://jackson22.adventistchurchconnect.org

Berlin Roads Methodist church history celebrating 100 years

Anchored In The Rock Ministries

148 Water Street, Jackson, Ohio

The Methodist Church in Berlin X Roads that was built in 1854. This picture was shared by Norma Fuller

The church was sold to the state for $5000 and torn down to expand Rt 327

Information from Ron Salmon.

Check out Ron's Facebook page with Berlin xRoads history pictures and information: https://www.facebook.com/BerlinXRoads/?ref=search

This is the First Baptist church on Broadway St in the late 1890's and a stately old home to the left that used to be where the city library is located now.

 Anthan Coyan collection

***************************************************************************************


The Methodist Church in Berlin X Roads that was built in 1854. This picture was shared by Norma Fuller


"Pastors Jack and Kay were the founders of 'Anchored In The Rock Ministries' in Jackson, Ohio in 2006, and later founded High Praise Ministries. The name 'High Praise Ministries' was given to the current Pastor Travis G. Potts in 2004 in the midst of a personal crisis. 

In 2009, 'Anchored In the Rock Ministries' had the opportunity to merge with New Vision Fellowship church in Jackson, Ohio at our current location, 148 Water Street. In a world where churches often split over their differences, two churches made the choice to join together. 

At the time, both ministries were connected to the Southern Ohio Ministry Association (SOMA), founded by Pastor Mark Pfiefer. Upon the merger of the two churches, it was decided the newly-born ministry would be called High Praise Ministries.

Pastors Jack and Kay Webb have tirelessly dedicated their lives to this ministry to make it what it is today. Pastor Travis G. Potts has worked as the Assistant Pastor for Anchored In The Rock Ministries and High Praise Ministries.  In January 2011, Pastor Potts became the Interim Pastor of High Praise Ministries. Later in 2012, Pastor Potts was designated as the Pastor of High Praise Ministries.

During the changes over the past few years, we have been so blessed to have so many faithful and dedicated individuals and families who have served the Lord Jesus Christ with us and volunteered to work in this ministry. Without them, High Praise Ministries would not be what it is today. We honor and thank each and every one of you for these wonderful years of service, and look forward to a wonderful future, full of the glory of God and fellowship together!"

source: http://highpraisejackson.org/our-history/

******************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************

Roads (Berlin) Methodist Church

*****************************************************************************                                                   

                                                        History of Faith Lutheran Church

      In the early 1960s, a number of Lutherans moved to Jackson with the Chun King Plant. The congregation organized in 1965, and built the current building at 245 E. Huron Street in the early 1970s. In December 2007, Faith completed a building project which included a beautiful new sanctuary, restrooms, foyer, and offices.

      Faith is very service-oriented. The congregation helps support the Jackson Food Pantry and Clothing Bank, the Good Samaritan Fund, Lutheran Social Services, Lutheran Campus Ministries, Lutheran World Relief, Jackson Area Ministries, World Hunger, Amazing Grace Day Camp, and other agencies. The church is a meeting place for many area groups: Weight Watchers, TOPS, the Humane Society, the Amateur Radio Club, the Homemakers Club, PERS, Narcotics Anonymous, Ohio Virtual Academy, and the American Red Cross.

http://www.faithlutheran.info/about.htm

Presbyterian Church, Jackson, Ohio-1917

Raymond Booth collection

************************************************************************************************

Jackson Christian Church

The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was founded in the early 1800s in the United States. Seeking to move beyond denominational disagreements, the founders envisioned a united church of Jesus Christ modeled on the New Testament.

The Jackson Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was organized on August 1, 1852 by 25 residents of Jackson. They met at the old Baptist church at the corner of Pearl and Church Streets. A worship service was held every two weeks and a prayer meeting was conducted weekly.

The congregation grew, and in 1861, a small brick church was erected on Broadway Street. The current church building was constructed in 1889 and dedicated on May 11, 1890. The pastor was H. B. Sherman.

The first educational annex was added in 1920. Ground breaking for the second annex began on January 4, 1955.  -from notes by Vernon McNair

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.

Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

First Presbyterian Church of Jackson  The First Presbyterian Church of Jackson was organized June 12, 1836 by a committee from the Presbytery of Athens, Ohio that met in the home of Dr. and Mrs. Asa Isham on the southwest corner of Church and Court Streets. The first church building was erected two years later, on property donated by Mrs. Isham, at the rear of the lot where the present church is located. It was a one room, 25 x 45, brick building with white double doors in the front and a window on each side of the entrance. The pulpit was at the far end of the interior so the minister faced the entrance, with the choir on his left and the Elders on his right. However, it was to be another 34 years before a regular full-time pastor was installed, in 1872, following the Civil War. The original structure was torn down in 1887 and the present building was erected. The congregation grew slowly. In 1918, the German Lutheran Congregation decided to unite with the Presbyterians. By 1932, when the Welsh-Presbyterians of Jackson merged with the First Presbyterian Church, the congregation had grown to almost 600, with 300 in the Sunday School. In April 1941, the reported membership reached an all time high of 622! The pipe organ, still in use every Sunday, was presented to the church in 1941, and the stained glass windows were replaced in the sanctuary as memorials in 1975. Looking back over the years, we see three things that were used in the old church that are still in use today - the church bell, the old clock and the pulpit in the Sunday School room. The manse, on nearby Pearl Street, was completed for occupancy in 1951.

Information copied from: http://www.jacksonchrist.org/Christ_United_Methodist_Church/Church_History.html

Jackson M. E. Church early 1900s now known as Christ United Methodist Church

Jackson Methodist Episcopal Church about 1909

Church Histories In Jackson Co., Ohio