Information found by Ron Salmsons
Information found by Ron Salmsons
Please email additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Former Post Offices in Jackson County, Ohio
Adam: Discontinued 20 Jul 1892
Banner: Discontinued 06 Nov 1903
Berlin Cross Roads, (Roads): This place has also been called Berlin Crossroads and Berlin. It was founded in 1845 by Charles Kinnison and surveyed by Oliver Tyson. Kinnison owned the farm where the village was laid out. During the First World War its name was shortened to Roads due to anti-German feelings. Today, people still refer to it by all three names. Discontinued 8 Dec 1933
Blanche: Discontinued 25 Mar 1896
Brocks Corner: Discontinued 12 Jan 1865
Buckeye Furnace: Discontinued 07 Mar 1865
Bud: Discontinued 13 Dec 1901
Burris: Discontinued 13 Jan 1898
Byer's Station:Name changed to Byer 26 Dec 1876
Byer, Before the Civil War it was called Ellsworth, but was changed to Byer to recognize the large Byers family which owned land in the village. Discontinued 28 Jun 1957
Camba, Probably named for the Welsh settlers in the area. Wales and Welsh are called Cambria and Cambrian. Discontinued 15 Nov 1923
Chapman: Discontinued 15 Nov 1915
Clarence: Discontinued 28 Oct 1898
Clay: Discontinued 31 Aug 1912
Coalton,Eurekeville When the post office came to what is now Coalton in December, 1876, it was known as Eureka, but there was another Eureka in Gallia County. So the Eureka in Jackson County became Eurekaville. On July 1, 1879, the name of the post office was changed to Coalton "because the only producing agency in Eurekaville was Coal and Coal was mined by the TON.
Cove, It was probably founded in the 1830s by Pennsylvania settlers and named because it fits the description of a cove, i.e., a sheltered nook or recess as in a cliff. Discontinued 31 Aug 1960
Crabtree's Mills: Discontinued 15 Feb 1875
Dawkins's Mills: Discontinued 28 Nov 1904
Eastburn: Discontinued 29 Jan 1904
Eckny: Discontinued 21 Oct 1902
Ennis: Name changed to Chatman 05 Sep 1888
Ervins Mills: Name changed to Leo 24 Feb 1874
Esther: Discontinued 12 Apr 1902
Glade, It was probably named so because it fit the dictionary description of a glade, i.e., an open space in a forest. Discontinued 31 Oct 1924
Glen Roy, Named for Andrew Roy who founded it and who was Ohio's first Chief of Mines Inspector. The "glen" refers to a Scottish mountain valley. Name changed to Glenroy 12 Jul 1893.Discontinued 30 Jul 1921
Grahamsville, The town was laid out by John Graham on his property, probably in the 1850s. The family of James Graham also lived there. Discontinued 27 Mar 1902
Green Meadow: Discontinued 21 Jun 1856
Hays: Discontinued 24 Dec 1863
Herdman: Discontinued 30 Jun 1906
Hewit: Discontinued 21 Oct 1902
Hillsdale: Discontinued 29 Jan 1904
Howes Hill: Discontinued 17 Apr 1883
Hughes: Name changed to Keystone 01 Oct 1849
Iron Valley: Discontinued 16 Jul 1864
Ivy: Discontinued 21 Mar 1901
Jackson Furnace: Discontinued 28 Apr 1863
Jimes: Discontinued 06 Nov 1903
Jordon: Discontinued 05 Sep 1899
Keystone: Probably named for nearby Keystone Furnace, which hauled pig iron to its switch on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad known as Keystone Station. Discontinued 28 Jan 1907
Kitchen, A number of people named Kitchen lived in the area and it was probably named for the family. Discontinued 30 Dec 1922
Leach: Discontinued 09 Jul 1903
Leo, It was laid out in 1844 by Samuel Swift, who modestly named it Swiftsville. When G. H. Greene was named Postmaster (1874-1875), he named it after a pope Leo. Probably Leo XIII (1810-1903). Discontinued 17 Mar 1904
Levi: Discontinued 04 Nov 1868?
Limerick, Legend has it that it was named after an ethnic joke about a drunken Irishman. Supposedly, he wandered into the village, took off his hat, and said "Hooray for Limerick!", referring to Limerick, Ireland. Discontinued 23 Jan 1904
Mabee, It was named after the first Postmaster at the place, a man named Mabee or Mabees. It is also known as Mabee Corner.Name changed from Mabee's 11 Jul 1892. Discontinued 17 Aug 1904
McGhee's Store: Discontinued 01 Jun 1857
Meadow Branch: Name changed to Cove 13 Nov 1878
Menager: Discontinued 17 Oct 1837
Milton Furnace: Name changed to Wellston 17 Jul 1874
Monroe Furnace: Discontinued 03 May 1890
Mountain Ridge: Discontinued 03 Feb 1843
Needy: Discontinued 08 Oct 1890
Noor's: Discontinued 28 July 1834
Orpheus, Named for the Greek mythical musician and poet. Discontinued 03 Sep 1907
Petra: Discontinued 21 Dec 1901
Ray's: Named changed to Ray 26 Jul 1893. PO now sets on Vinton Co side of the line as of 1958 or 9
Ratchford: Discontinued 25 Feb 1907
Reed's Mills: Now in Vinton County
Rempel: Discontinued 10 Jul 1916
Ridgeland: Discontinued 19 Jan 1905
Riley: Name changed to Rileyville 05 Jun 1837
Rileyville: Name changed to Allensville 12 Jun 1840 Now in Vinton County
Riverton:Discontinued 18 Dec 1903
Rocky Hill: Name changed to Rockeyhill 06 Jun 1894 Discontinued 21 May 1919
Samson: Name changed to Samsonville 08 May 1857 Discontinued 20 May 1920
Simpson: Discontinued 11 Oct 1880
Springer: Discontinued 30 Sep 1902
Stinson's: Discontinued 14 Feb 1853
Volga: Named Changed to Buriss 02 Oct 1885
Weber: Discontinued 19 Aug 1902
Wilcox: Name changed to Coalton 21 Jun 1894
A community named for the large rocky cliffs in the area.
Blackfork Station or Junction:
About 1900, D. D. Davis persuaded some African-Americans to come to southern Ohio to work in his family's coal mines, and later the Davis silica brick plant.
A little community named for a man named Green, who had a store there. There is still a roadside convenience store there, though possibly not in exactly the same location.
It dates to about 1903 and is said to be named for the Hitchcock brick plant located there. The plant was sold to a Hitchcock from Portsmouth, Ohio.
The same as the county, it was named for Andrew Jackson. Its original name seems to be Purgatory, which was quickly exchanged for Poplar Row and later Jackson. It was platted in 1816 and 1819 and incorporated in 1842.
It was laid out in 1827 by Oliver Tyson halfway between Jackson and Wilkesville. It was once called Middle Town.
Aaron and Jesse Monroe settled there sometime between 1797 and 1820. Another source says it was named after President James Monroe. It was a stop on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad.
Named for the oak trees on the hill east of the town and in the area. It was laid out around 1817 by a New Yorker, Julius Bingham. Once known as Portland, settlement in the town began as early as 1799.
Numerous Patton's lived in the area. The site was surveyed in the 1840s by Joseph Hanna.
It was started sometime after 1820. Reportedly the town was named after Peter Weber.
This town straddles the county line between Jackson and Vinton Counties. It was originally called Raysville and was named after Moses Ray who started the town in 1854. Descendant's of the Ray family still live there. Ray: Moved to Vinton Co. about 1958 or 9
Named after the terrain of the place.
Name origin not really known. Some say it could be named for the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra or named for the Spanish word Vega, which means a fertile plain. Joseph Hanna performed the survey in the 1840s.
Named for Harvey Wells, a member of the Constitutional Convention, who founded it in 1873. The city was incorporated in 1876.