Limerick Grange Building number 1917, 44 Savageville Road
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Limerick Grange.
photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014

Limerick Cemetery

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014

Go here for a list of tombstones: http://www.jacksoncountyohiogen.com/PDF%20docs/Limerick%20Cemetery/01%20Limerick%20Cemetery%20pg%201-17.pdf

Poplar Road Community Church
The late Harkless Witten was instrumental in the building of the Poplar Road Community Church
photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014

The Witten Grocery was  owned by the late Harkless Witten.  After his passing was run by his wife Nettie and daughter Charlene.

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014
Limerick, Jackson Twp, Jackson, Ohio

photo by Tyrone Hemry  6 August 2014

Limerick Post Office

Limerick, Legend has it that it was named after an ethnic joke about a drunken Irishman. Supposedly, he wandered into the village, took off his hat, and said "Hooray for Limerick!", referring to Limerick, Ireland.  The Post office was discontinued 23 Jan 1904

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014

The Reorganized Church of Later Day Saints have been active in Limerick since 18880.  Some of the early members are buried in the Limerick Cemetery.

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014
Link to early membership list: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohjackso/rldslimr.htmv
Poplar Road Community Church 

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014

Part of the Grange facilities

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014
Untitled

Limerick Cemetery

photo by Tyrone Hemry 6 August 2014
The Limerick Grange building dates back to at least 1889 as it was the home of the Isaac Willis Post No. 160 of the Grand Army of the Republic. The post was named in honor of the young man from Limerick who enlisted as a drummer boy in the Union Army and later lost his life in the Battle of Gettysburg July 2, 1863.

As the old soldiers died off the GAR became defunct and the Sons of Civil War Veterans became the natural successor organization and the Limerick building was transferred in August 1914 from the one group to the other.

Limerick Grange's was organized February 28, 1914, and the charter was approved by the State Grange five days later. More than a year later in October 1915, the Sons of the Civil Veterans of Thomas Beatty Camp leased the building to the Limerick Grange although the deed was not formally signed over until 1962.

Inside of the grange Hall is like a museum with many historical-related items, documents, and old newspaper clippings on display. One of the more impressive items is a colorful wall curtain created in 1928 with advertisements overlying a pastoral background. The curtain is not displayed very often in order to preserve it.

The Limerick Bean Dinner, hosted by the Grange, is even older than the Grange as it will be marking its 117th edition in 2014. The Grange inherited the event from the Sons of the Civil War Veterans, who, in turn, inherited it from the Grand Army of the Republic.

The 100th edition of the Bean Dinner is scheduled for Saturday, August 16, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Special activities honoring the historic occasion are also planned. For $3, a visitor will receive beans, cornbread, and coffee with an additional nominal cost for hot-dogs and various types of desserts.